Sunday 16 October 2011

Wake Up!

OK- ready yourselves, I'm about to set off on a bit of a rant...

Why- in this day and age- is the equine world so afraid of upsetting so-called 'professionals' and 'businessmen' that we let it limit what we can and can't do with OUR animal?  How often have I heard - 'I can't do ... or I can't have ...... out to see my horse because it might upset my farrier/yard owner'?  Why has everyone lost track of the fact that WE are paying these people for a service - we are not indebted to them or reliant upon their approval.  Moreover- they must be providing a good service for the money we give them- especially yard owners.  So many act as if we are indebted to them for simply allowing us a place on the yard- are we blind to the fact that we are their customers?  Who among us would let the man who owns the car park dictate which mechanic we use- let alone obey him out of fear he may be upset by our defiance?  Who would shop at a store where, if they found out you shopped around, they would threaten you with banishment?  No- this is not the way that professionals and businessmen act, regardless of what one may call oneself.  What is lacking in the horse world is the willingness to act and vote with our feet (or pound) and let those who don't provide a good service or product suffer.   In fact, this is the essence of our capitalist way.  Competition fosters innovation and good business practices- but only if we use it as a tool to help ourselves.  And yet- we do realise this, and act accordingly in our daily lives... apart from any equine service!  Why are we bending over backwards to please people that we are paying to serve us??

Now, I know you're going to wave the hippocrite flag here because I am an equine professional myself.  And I am.  However, when I receive criticism or a client leaves- I use this criticism (if constructive) to better my service and address those areas which caused complaint.  I don't rebound defensively upon my client for having expectations of my service.  In fact, the better I can serve my clients, the happier they will be and the more they will recommend me (and this makes me happy in the end)- it's my responsibility as the service provider to give a good value-for-money product.  If only more yard owners did the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment